Wreck linked to outages (updated)

A wreck at Vivan and Williams avenues in Eunice occurred at about 10:30 p.m. Monday and resulted in power outage for 1,096 Cleco customers. About 838 customers were restored at 11:16 p.m. with all remaining customers restored by 1:45 a.m., Robbyn Cooper, Cleco spokesperson, said. Eunice Police Chief Randy Fontenot said a report on the wreck had not been yet, but he said one person was taken to Acadian Medical Center and the driver was released. Charges may be forthcoming. Bob Courville, a resident at the scene, said the vehicle involved broke the utility pole and came to a stop in his driveway. A Charter Cable vehicle was a the scene Tuesday morning. Cable and Internet outages were reported in Eunice Tuesday morning. (Photo by Harlan Kirgan)

By Harlan Kirgan harlan.kirgan@eunicetoday.com

A one-vehicle wreck knocked out power for more than three hours and sent the driver to the hospital Monday night, Eunice Police Chief Randy Fontenot said.
The response to the wreck and its aftermath drew praise from Jack Burson, alderman at-large, at Tuesday’s city council meeting.
The wreck occurred at about 10:15 p.m. when a 2012 Ford Mustang driven by Samantha Elizabeth Byrd, 24, of Rigolette Road, Pineville, struck a utility pole at the corner of South Vivian and Williams avenues, Fontenot said.
Byrd had been in an argument with her boyfriend and left him on the side of the road, the police chief said.
“She took off at a high rate of speed and apparently lost control of the vehicle,” he said.
“She approached coming off North Vivian, crossing Laurel (U.S. 190). She never stopped at the stop sign when she crossed Laurel. When got to the other side she bottomed out and lost control,” he said.
The car was traveling at an estimated 70 mph when it struck the pole, he said.
After striking the pole, the Mustang spun counter-clockwise striking a cement-based basketball goal and several potted plants, Fontenot said, reading from a report by Officer Jade Broussard.
Byrd was taken to Acadian Medical Center and eventually transferred to another hospital, he said. Her injuries were listed as “incapacitating and severe,” he said
The wreck is still under investigation and charges are still pending and possible at this time, he said.
The wreck caused a power outage for 1,096 Cleco customers, according to Robbyn Cooper, Cleco spokesperson. About 838 customers were restored at 11:16 p.m. with all remaining customers restored by 1:45 a.m.
At Tuesday’s council meeting, Burson said, “I think we more often than not fail to congratulate people in public service when they do an excellent job. I saw a sterling example of that last night in my neighborhood.’
Burson said when the power went out he heard sirens within minutes.
The outage also affected Charter Cable, he said.
“It was very important that they be there with the flashing lights because of wires down all over the road,” he said. “And, they stayed there in a protective mode. I know because I didn’t go back to sleep until 2 o’clock this morning.”
Burson also praised Cleco crews for restoring power after the wreck.

PLEASE LOG IN FOR PREMIUM CONTENT

Our website requires visitors to log in to view the best local news from Eunice, LA. Not yet a subscriber? Subscribe today!

Twitter icon
Facebook icon

Follow Us

Subscriber Links